I am available for freelance illustration, storyboarding, sketch art, and concept art in Print/Advertising/Entertainment companies in the Los Angeles area (in-house) or anywhere across the globe (remotely.) I accept fine-art commissions only as my schedule allows. I do not accept tattoo-design commissions. // jawcooper@gmail.com

September 28, 2010

Rosemary's Finished

I think I'm finished with this piece, I might go back and put in more graphite details or do a background wash if I don't like how the white looks in the frame.



Here is the progression from drawing to finished painting:



And here are the paints/tools I used... in case someone out there is wondering:



The Winsor & Newton Series 7 #5 brush is expensive, but I do almost ALL of my gouache painting with it because it is so well made and has such a fine, natural tip. Definitely more than worth every penny.

This piece will be on display and for sale at the upcoming Horrorwood show at the WWA Gallery in Culver City, which opens October 15th. See you there!

14 comments:

twchrist said...

very nice piece
thanks for your specificity with materials and process

Thea S said...

As always this made me skip a heart beat!

Thomas Lynch III said...

love the process! thanks for sharing

Chloethy said...

Lovette! Thanks for givin us a look at your process and your materials :)

Umbralust said...

Great idea and wonderful composition! Every time I think I'm starting to catch up to you I look up and you've leaped ahead!

Giselle said...

haha coops youre so funny. sharing the proces.. also i think schrier's heart just skipped a beat. I ought to give you my series 7 btw.

Rick Smith said...

great piece! nice to see your media as well.

andrewlong said...

Yes, Someone out there WAS wondering! A lot of artists show their process now (which is great), but hardly any give away the real tools of their trade.

thank you for sharing =)

Sunny said...

lovely piece!

love the composition!<3

J. A. W. Cooper said...

Thanks so much everyone! I'm glad you liked seeing the materials... it confirms that I'm not just art-nerding out alone!

Jules said...

That devil baby is so adorable! Awesome piece.

anthony said...

Thank you for sharing again! Is it possible for you to do this for any upcoming work? I really love your stuff. Keep it rolling!!!
God bless!

Olivier said...

I was at WWA Gallery today to pickup a piece I bought from their previous show. All the artwork for the next one was out, so I had a peek at yours.

Gorgeous work, and easily one of the best pieces in the show...

Kris said...

Wow. That movie didn't seem scary to me 'til you painted after it. It's beautiful. Thanks for posting the proccess