I am available for freelance illustration, storyboarding, sketch art, and concept art in Print/Advertising/Entertainment companies in the Los Angeles area (in-house) or anywhere across the globe (remotely.) I accept fine-art commissions only as my schedule allows. I do not accept tattoo-design commissions. // jawcooper@gmail.com

September 19, 2010

Rosemary's Baby

I will have a piece in the upcoming "Horrorwood" show at the WWA Gallery opening October 15th. I chose to do a painting inspired by the classic horror film "Rosemary's Baby." The first time I saw this film I hated it but I came to love it in subsequent viewings and I wanted to capture the creepyness of a Rosemary's blind love for her child.

Here was the initial sketch of Rosemary and her "baby."

*THIS DRAWING SOLD*


I wanted to fill in the space around her in an oval with satan... here was the separate sketch:



Here is a comp of the two sketches put together. I think I'll fade the devil away into feathers or something since the legs read funny when partially obscured. I'm planning on calling this painting "His Father's Eyes.":



Photos from my desk:



Other random sketches from my desk; I particularly like the fighter pilot rabbit-girl:

7 comments:

Hania said...

I think that the facial expression of Rosemary is perfect.

A. Grey said...

I LOVE the Rosemary's Baby concept! Supremely rendered. Totally captures my feelings on the movie itself.

Dawei said...

Love this. I have a question about the process if you don't mind. What do you use to scan the your sketches or line work to computer? Coz I notice the you sometimes draw things in big format.

J. A. W. Cooper said...

Thanks so much guys! I use an Epson scanner and stitch the image together in photoshop if it's larger than the scanner bed.

Dawei said...

thx for the info!

sarah 'sae' soh said...

oh suhhhhweet baby rosemary!

youre awesome.

dave d'incau jr. illustration said...

this is ridiculous. i'm certainly looking forward to the final. fantastic stuf.