I am available for freelance illustration, storyboarding, sketch art, and concept art in Print/Advertising/Entertainment companies in the Los Angeles area (in-house) or anywhere across the globe (remotely.) I accept fine-art commissions only as my schedule allows. I do not accept tattoo-design commissions. // jawcooper@gmail.com

January 31, 2013

"Rise" Finished


This painting was significantly more complex to paint than I had anticipated. I wanted the albino cicadas to have such delicate colors that I had to paint them each many times before the balance was correct. I am so pleased with the results that it was worth the effort!

(This piece is RESERVED.)




Sometimes there is a magical moment at the very end of the painting where something pulls it all together for me. In this case, it was these golden birds in the distance added as an afterthought:


I know it's wrong to pick favorites but.... but I really like how I controlled the colors in this particular piece. It was a hard-won battle!


"Rise" will be part of my April 2013 solo show "Laid Bare" at La Luz de Jesus Gallery. For more info, to be added to the preview list, or to reserve a piece early, email Matt Kennedy at info@laluzdejesus.com.



4 comments:

twchrist said...

Beautiful! I love the mixture between the line work and paint.

tom said...

I love it!
and this gold paint..:)

Cayetano G Valenzuela said...

So awesome!

J. A. W. Cooper said...

Oh thank you so much everyone!