I am available for freelance illustration, storyboarding, sketch art, and concept art in Print/Advertising/Entertainment companies in the Los Angeles area (in-house) or anywhere across the globe (remotely.) I accept fine-art commissions only as my schedule allows. I do not accept tattoo-design commissions. // jawcooper@gmail.com

January 20, 2013

Progress on "Phoenix", "Burden", "Womb", "Rot"

Lets start with some sketches from Friday! "Phoenix" is the cicada on fire with the cloaked-woman shadow, and "Burden" is the carrier pigeon weighed down with mementos.



Today I toned them with washes of waterproof india ink:

(I can't decide what to title this making-out-babies piece- "Fetal Attraction", "Larva", "Womb", "Spark"??? I don't want it to be cute... I want it to be creepy!)

And here are the ink washes completed on "Rot":


I will be coloring all of these over the next couple of days.

And finally, last Friday these three (as well as two larger paintings) left to get framed. "Gasp" is already reserved but "Flinch" and "Rattle" are up for grabs!


These soon-to-be paintings will be part of my April 2013 solo show "Laid Bare" at La Luz de Jesus Gallery. For more info, to be added to the preview list, or to reserve a piece early, email Matt Kennedy at info@laluzdejesus.com.

3 comments:

pbrigitte said...

How about "original sin" for the babies painting? Creepy to me! I can't wait for the show, I hope to snag an original for my collection :)

Esther Morales said...

Great works Jaw! I like the "larva" tittle for the babies one ;)

J. A. W. Cooper said...

Thanks guys! Good suggestions! I love "original sin" but "Larva" ties in with the idea behind it better. (The antiquated theory of spontaneous generation- maggots on rotting meat.)