I am available for freelance illustration, storyboarding, sketch art, and concept art in Print/Advertising/Entertainment companies in the Los Angeles area (in-house) or anywhere across the globe (remotely.) I accept fine-art commissions only as my schedule allows. I do not accept tattoo-design commissions. // jawcooper@gmail.com

June 16, 2012

Paintings and sketches and kits! Oh my!

I spent a day off from work making this super essential and portable gouache-painting kit so I can more easily paint in the Natural History Museum / landscapes / wherever. I'm pretty chuffed about it! I made the box out of cardboard with a circle-fit closure and each element cupped in it's own exactly sized cubby so nothing will spill or rattle around when I'm painting or transporting it.

The kit holds a porcelain palette with a lid, a small glass jar of water, a flower-shaped porcelain mixing palette, and two cubbies for a pencil, pots of more gouache, and eyedropper, paper towels, and three brushes. 

This is just the sketch model... if all goes well I'll make a cleaner version out of wood or corrugated plastic. I love working with cardboard!
And here is my first painting using the kit; an Amethyst Geode. I have big plans to paint the entire mineral/gem exhibit at the Nat Hist Museum!

Sorry it took me so long to get these following sketches up from the San Diego Zoo and the Natural History Museum... I can only handle being around young children for an hour or so... yeah. They need to have 18+ days at all attractions.






That's all for now but I have a couple more free days coming up and big plans to paint at the Santa Barbara Natural History Museum this weekend. Stay tuned, and as always, thank you for keeping tabs on my progress!


7 comments:

Jonathan said...

I -love- the NHM. Last time I tried to draw there I was hassled by younglings.

The main reason I wanted to comment was to tell you about the amazing set of gouache I purchased at an artist's retreat-- Caran d'Ache Studio 15 color set. They are perfect for travel, and I never thought caked gouache would be so professional and consistent. "This is kid's stuff!", in disbelief that they could be such high quality, but I was so enamored by them I bought a set myself.

Comes with a mediocre brush and a tube of white that passes for zinc. I supplement it with Permanent White, and it is genuinely a good investment. You might be convinced as I was!

http://www.amazon.com/Caran-Dache-Gouache-Studio-Pans/dp/B000NMBKEA

The Painting Ward said...

What a cool idea!...this just seems so convenient, and I might have to make one of my own. Also, great sketches.

NewestIllustration

Caerphilly said...

That's a great idea! Thanks for posting this.

I also love the sketches!

Christian said...

I've seen this in person... BELIEVE THE HYPE y'all.

J. A. W. Cooper said...

Jonathan- Thanks so much! I'll most definitely check that out based on your glowing review!

Painting Ward- Thank you and DO IT!

Caerphilly- Thank you!

Christian- BUDDYYYYYYY! ha ha

Chebo said...

Would punch an infant for your barn owl sketch. I don't even care how terrible of a person that makes me.

J. A. W. Cooper said...

Terrible is subjective... And you would have to get video proof of the incident. Deal on. ha ha