I am available for freelance illustration, storyboarding, sketch art, and concept art in Print/Advertising/Entertainment companies in the Los Angeles area (in-house) or anywhere across the globe (remotely.) I accept fine-art commissions only as my schedule allows. I do not accept tattoo-design commissions. // jawcooper@gmail.com

January 18, 2012

"Oscar"

At last! I am very pleased to introduce you to the newest member of my mutant-animal-rug family... say hello to "Oscar."

I've been holding off on posting photos of this commission until he was delivered to none other than Otavio of the incredibly talented and renowned Brazilian street-art twins "Os GĂȘmeos." The brothers are here in Los Angeles for the next couple of months preparing for their upcoming show at Prism Gallery in West Hollywood which opens February 25th. I can't wait!

Without further adieu: "Oscar"







He's got two regular "friendly" eyes and one little gimp-eye on the right side of his face. Also note his grin which I accentuated with dark red velvet... the goal was to make him look friendly but weird, and as requested, he is red/pink.





And here are process shots from sketch to completion:



Materials...



Foamform on left, inside-out "pelt" on right... to show stitching...



The detail on this rug in the stripes and fur patterns was super involved, each stripe took an hour or so to hand-sew in from the back... but the result was definitely worth the effort...



Closer detail to show how small and numerous the stitches were for each stripe...



Well! That's Oscar... I'm so happy he'll be living with Otavio now!

Here are links to previous mutant-animal-rugs:
Buddy the Budding-Off Bear: 1 2 3 4
Randal the Riddled Bear: 1 2 3 4

6 comments:

Siolo Thompson said...

This may be the coolest creature ever. If I owned him I would take him to the coffee shop in the morning and make sure he had a walk everyday. Sooo spifffy!!

Sam Wolfe Connelly said...

ugh, neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedddddd

Kat said...

holy monkeys, thats amazing, when i win the lottery i shall be contacting you for a creature for my bed / in from of the fireplace.

J. A. W. Cooper said...

Guyzzzzzz Thank you so much! I'm so glad you like him!

heather chavez said...

I love this piece, this is so amazing and creative

J. A. W. Cooper said...

Thank you, Heather!