I am available for freelance illustration, storyboarding, sketch art, and concept art in Print/Advertising/Entertainment companies in the Los Angeles area (in-house) or anywhere across the globe (remotely.) I accept fine-art commissions only as my schedule allows. I do not accept tattoo-design commissions. // jawcooper@gmail.com

January 31, 2012

Busy busy beaver.

Oh man. So busy.

First up, here are teasers of my submission for the upcoming "Laluzapalooza" show at La Luz de Jesus Gallery. The painting is called "Dappled" and features, yes, another Sphynx cat. I just looove painting them!




Sketch:


Here are some photos of work in progress for my upcoming "Erode" show at WWA Gallery in Culver City (opens Feb 18th!). Most of these things are done now but what the heck...

Here was the "Guarded" drawing transferred, before I painted it. It's pretty big, about 30"x26". I painted it with ink and gouache.




Domes waiting to be filled with little sculptures (time providing.)



The three little paintings transferred to generously-sized paper. Mmmmm, generous margins... I like how lonely they look like this.



And finally (for today) I made this little beetle with frosted-acetate wings and gold-detailed body and luxurious wing casings. I almost don't want to sell him...



Onward! I'll post some pics of the final paintings as well as the new crop of newly-transferred drawings when I get a chance.

If you are interested in any of the pieces that will be for sale in the upcoming WWA Gallery show opening Feb 18th go HERE to add yourself to the preview list. You will get first dibs to view/buy work before the show actually opens!

For facebook-ians, HERE is a link to the event page.

Also check out the absolutely INCREDIBLE work of Jessica Dalva, Danielle Buerli, Tom Haubrick, Sinae Park, and Bryce Takara who will all be having simultaneous mini-solo shows in the same space!

6 comments:

Danielle Buerli said...

Jesus coop... those look amazing!

Rory said...

Holy Wow! Brilliant! I've gotten used to how amazing your work is but that "Dappled" piece is extra special, love the composition and color!

Katie Lawter said...

Eee, gorgeous as always. 8D

I was curious about what process you use to transfer your sketches to the final page. I always find that so much is lost in this step, but your transfers maintain all the awesomeness of the sketch.

J. A. W. Cooper said...

Katie- I just made a tutorial for transferring a drawing without losing the spirit of the original, which I will post tomorrow! Check back!

Roory and Buerli- Thank youuuu!

chocolatcake said...

Amazing work, congrats.

J. A. W. Cooper said...

Thanks chocolatcake! You are my favorite confection.