I am available for freelance illustration, storyboarding, sketch art, and concept art in Print/Advertising/Entertainment companies in the Los Angeles area (in-house) or anywhere across the globe (remotely.) I accept fine-art commissions only as my schedule allows. I do not accept tattoo-design commissions. // jawcooper@gmail.com

January 24, 2011

SB NHM 2

Here are some sketches from the SB NHM. As I said before, they have a really amazing bird exhibit! I hope yall enjoy:



These owls were too crappy to finish... but I liked the Frigate Bird:



Ok, so... do you ever wish there was a way to keep WASPy parents from pestering you to show their tots your drawing while you're in-the-zone? I just casually kept this sketch on top of my stack of drawings... bingo:



...hooters...







I'm incredibly thankful to have so many followers and lovely commenters posting to this blog and sending me emails, and I want to hold another free-art-raffle to show my appreciation in the near future!

Just out of curiosity, would you guys be more excited if I raffled off some sketches, animal drawings, small paintings... small prints... what? I always prefer seeing artist's original drawings but naturally paintings are more valuable...

(As always, facebook fans will get an early heads-up when the raffle is active.)

11 comments:

Monique Lopez said...

Hahaha oh man that owl cracked me up! Did you notice any parents quickly wisking their kids away or any stink eyes from them? Also does SB = Santa Barbra? As for give sways I love seeing sketches but would love to hang a painting on my wall!

Clovis said...

Sketches! But, paintings are cool too... bahh, I have no preference, 'tis all awesome.

twchrist said...

gorgeous

A. Grey said...

OMG those owls are NOT crappy! Um, have you ever tried drawing a whippoorwill? They are the most enigmatically ethereal birds EVER. You would render them so beautifully, I think. That could be my next tattoo... a whippoorwill you drew... hmmmm...

andrewlong said...

I agree with the above comments - the owls are not crappy - they are very good. The owl is one of those animals that has a quiet dignity and intelligence, and it takes some skill to render that in a drawing. The eyes on the last one are great.

Art give-aways are great (I framed the bus. cards you sent) and are awesome to win - but the real value in your blogs (for me anyway) are the process posts. These "insider" looks at how and what you're doing are invaluable to other artists and fans alike.

Roxy M said...

Amazing, and I will use your hooter's advise in the near future. Also, anything you raffle off I will be excited about!

Mrs. Borgstrom said...

I love the sketches and studies. They're pretty awesome. Like, when you do a few sketches of the same type of thing together. That's pretty neat. Or when you're sketching out an idea for something that you later make into a completed artwork... Those I think are my favorite.

Rocketeam said...

Did you merge and Owl with the Venus of Willendorf??

J. A. W. Cooper said...

Whoot, thanks guys!

Monique- Yes, there was much wisking, and SB does indeed mean Santa Barbara.

Grey- I LOVE WHIPPORWILLS TOO! I know the SBNHM has a couple but I'll have to check and see if the LANHM has any.

Andrew- You are too kind!

Rocketteam- You clearly know me better than most.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'll probably raffle off a mix of sketches and tiny paintings!

.gld. said...

haha! great idea with how to keep people from asking to see what you're drawing. absolutely love it and will likely use it. thanks!

DillyFae said...

BAHAHAHAH! That owl is hilarious!

And I agree, anything of yours would be valuable to us!