I am available for freelance illustration, storyboarding, sketch art, and concept art in Print/Advertising/Entertainment companies in the Los Angeles area (in-house) or anywhere across the globe (remotely.) I accept fine-art commissions only as my schedule allows. I do not accept tattoo-design commissions. // jawcooper@gmail.com

November 15, 2010

Wildlife Waystation!

Excitement! Yesterday I went to the Wildlife Waystation (an animal sanctuary closed to the public) with my old instructor from college (Gary Geraths), his animal drawing class, and a bunch of cohorts. Needless to say it was a day-long sketchgasm.

We started the day off with a pride of lions...







After lunch we moved to the "arena" to gawk at this beautiful young tiger prancing about. He was blind in one eye from the malnutrition he suffered before he was rescued by the Waystation. I'll scan the drawing I did of his blind eye soon... I just faked in two normal eyes in most of the drawings.














Lastly, I took a break from the tiger to draw this chirping cougar and a wayward peacock.





A giant "thank you" to Gary Geraths for setting this up and allowing me to tag along, and to the wonderful volunteers at the Waystation for allowing us to visit and for watching our backs while we drew the beasties.

Here is a link to some of my other animal drawings, many of which I did in Gary's class when I was a student: Animal Drawings

Here are some cohorts who also went and will surely be posting their wonderful drawings soon: Gary Geraths, Jessica Dalva, Zachary Schoenbaum, David Ra, Allison Reimold, Alexandra Dunham, John Sweeney, Mason Trager.... uhhh, and I'll add others as I think of them!

7 comments:

CECIL B DEMENTED said...

Nice!!!

allie said...

gawwwDAMN! those tigers! LOOOVE!!!! I'm postin mine up now!

twchrist said...

These are amazing pieces of art!

Thomas Yamaoka said...

you are a feLINE Master!

Roxy M said...

Beautifuuuuuuuuuul! The tiger is my fav!

Alessandro Echevarria said...

My friend volunteers there once or twice a week, she tells me it's pretty great, I wish I had made it up there at any point...
The drawings look great Coop.

Gary Geraths said...

What do mean "OLD" instructors from college?